What To Expect: From Arrest To Sentencing
The criminal court system is complex, and it can be challenging to understand the process. You may not know what to expect or what to do next. The attorney at SMC Law Firm understands that you are going through a difficult time, and she is here to help.
Samantha Chorny at SMC Law Firm is a former prosecutor with years of experience in criminal law. She has a deep understanding of the criminal justice system and the specific charges you are facing. She will fight for your rights and protect your future.
The Typical Progression Of A Criminal Case
The criminal justice system can be confusing. Here are some of the common things you can expect if you are charged with a crime.
- Arrest: You may be arrested by the police and taken to jail.
- Booking: At the jail, you will be booked and fingerprinted.
- Initial Appearance: You will appear before a judge for your initial appearance. The judge will set bail at this hearing and advise you of your rights.
- Preliminary Hearing: If you are not released on bail, you will have a preliminary hearing. At this hearing, the judge will determine if there is enough evidence to hold you over for trial.
- Grand Jury: If you are held over for trial, your case will be presented to a grand jury. The grand jury will decide if there is enough evidence to indict you.
- Arraignment: If you are indicted, you will be arraigned on the charges. At this hearing, you will enter a guilty or not guilty plea, but if you plead not guilty, your case will go to trial. The trial will be held before a judge or a jury.
- Sentencing: If you are found guilty, you will be sentenced. The sentence will depend on the severity of the crime.
The skilled legal professional at SMC Law Firm can help you through every step of the process. She will provide an aggressive defense as you face this challenging time.